On December 8, 2011 Scott County Auditor Roxanna Moritz made a presentation to the Association of Election Commission Officials of Illinois on the topic of election day registration.  Election day registration allows an eligible citizen to register and vote a regular ballot on election day.  Various forms of election day registration are allowed in nine states and the District of Columbia. 

Scott County Auditor Roxanna Moritz addresses the Association of Illinois Election Officials during their meeting in Galesburg, IL.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   Moritz explained the identification requirements of election day registration, including provision of a current and valid photo ID, such as a driver’s license, and proof of residency if the photo ID does not include a current residence address.  In the 2008 general election 45,929 Iowans registered and voted on election day.  Of that number 24,376 (53%) were previously registered to vote in Iowa, just not in the county of their current residence.  Most of the remaining 47% of election day registrants were either 18-year-old high school students or college students.
   Auditor Moritz also explained the fraud detection and prosecution provisions of the election day registration law.  Since the law’s inception in 2008 hundreds of investigations have occurred but very few fraud cases have been prosecuted.  Almost all of those cases involved a registrant with a criminal past and whose right to vote had not been legally restored.